Trade Perspectives: The Trade Paperback You Want is Out of Print

 ·  47 comments

To be clear, I understand that "new from the publisher" tends to lose its meaning in regards to comics -- even if you can't find a new copy online, there's likely dozens of local comic book stores out there with a never-read copy of whatever trade paperback, old or new, you might like.

I also understand that just because we might argue within the confines of the Collected Editions blog that The Final Night, for instance, ought still be in print because it reflects a chapter in Hal Jordan's life as Parallax, does not mean there's a real widespread interest in Final Night, nor that it would be profitable long-term for DC Comics to invest in a second printing (edit: nor, as Johanna and Caleb point out, would it be profitable necessarily for booksellers to stock it).

That said ... It's astounding to me that some of the titles below are out of print, and these are in fact just culled from a general survey; the fact is probably that many, many more titles are out of print.

- Batman: Legacy, out of print, along with Batman: Cataclysm (the volume that preceded these, Batman: Contagion, is still in print)

- Batman: No Man's Land Vol. 3 and Vol. 4, out of print (but volumes one, two, and five are available)

- Flash: Rogues, out of print, from Geoff Johns' Wally West run, along with Crossfire, Blitz, and Ignition, (being the third, fourth, fifth, and sixth volumes) but Wonderland, Blood Will Run, The Secret of Barry Allen, and Rogue War are all available (volumes one, two, seven, and eight respectively)

- Nightwing: A Knight in Bludhaven, out of print (the first volume, as is Rough Justice, Love and Bullets, A Darker Shade of Justice, The Hunt for Oracle, and Big Guns, which are most of Chuck Dixon's run on the book)

- The Death and Return of Superman hardcover omnibus, out of print

- Underworld Unleashed crossover, out of print, along with Final Night

- Black Adam: The Dark Age, out of print

- Countdown to Final Crisis Vol. 4, out of print, the lead-in to DC's second most recent crossover event, while volumes one, two, and three are still in print

- Flash, the Fastest Man Alive: Full Throttle, out of print, being the better of the two books, whereas Lightning in a Bottle is still available

(Amazon reviewer Kauffinbauchser has put together an additional list of out-of-print DC Comics trades. Some of these are right, some have been subsequently republished.)

Now, a book like Batman: Legacy (in the vein of classic Ra's al Ghul stories, but maybe not a classic itself), I can understand being out of print. Even the Death and Return of Superman Omnibus, published for the Superman animated movie while the individual collections within are still in paperback, I can understand. But a book like Countdown to Final Crisis Vol. 4, published in 2008 and a factor (if ultimately minor) in Grant Morrison's Final Crisis? Very surprising.

Obviously, DC Comics history is not history itself, and DC's under no obligation to make its universe's whole history readily available to every reader. In addition, I recall it took me a number of years of searching before I found a New Teen Titans: Judas Contract collection to read it for the first time, and some might argue that the search is part of the fun, or part of comics fandom (that selfsame story was subsequently reissued, is no longer out of print, and is indeed now readily available).

But for those interested in the "full story," and given the rise of interest in trade paperbacks and the number of readers I hear from who've "gone back to the beginning" to follow the DC Universe in trade form, it's disappointing that seminal crossovers like Underworld Unleashed and Final Night shouldn't be easy to find. That one can't read the ground-breaking Batman story No Man's Land, which includes the beginnings of the conflict between Two-Face and now-Question Montoya, is equally sad (if ever a series deserved omnibus collecting, it's No Man's Land). And that as a new Flash series begins, the collections of the well-regarded previous Flash series by the exact same writer aren't available? Surely there's some profit to be made in those books being around.

I'm not much inclined to start reading my trade paperbacks on a digital device, but I can see this as one area where digital comics hold a lot of value. If DC doesn't see the value in a new printing of Underworld Unleashed, I understood, but if at least there was a venue for one to legally purchase that story online and read it, if even just for the historical benefit, I think that would really be something. Imagine, every comic book DC has ever published, cataloged and available for immediate download. Just imagine.

From my perspective, I had thought at one point about skipping the Black Adam: The Dark Age paperback when it came out and picking it up later on, and I'm glad I didn't -- it quickly went out of print, and now sells for double or triple the price online. My growing awareness of the unpredictability of DC's trades going out of print has made me much more circumspect at my local comics shop -- this is something I'll continue to keep an eye on.

Comments ( 47 )

  1. I remember a couple of years ago when Paul Levitz made a fairly big deal about keeping all their collections in print (Marvel at the time were pretty crap at doing that). Not so much anymore, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek RoperApril 26, 2010

    The first Birds of Prey trades are out of print. Even though Gail Simone's stories were great, those were some of the best issues that showcases Black Canary and Oracle working together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A note about Batman: Legacy - It is awesome. Picked it up a couple weeks ago, ordering through a specialty bookstore. $70 (CDN), used. In my quest to collect modern Batman, it is essential, and excellent.

    It also really builds the team up too, between Huntress, and Nightwing/Robin working closer (in varied European locales, no less).


    Another I would recommend is 'Birth of the Demon', which fits in continuity before Contagion, and tells the origin of Ra's Al Ghul as a fantastic tale in flashback. This oversize hardcover has some of the best artwork.

    Can you tell I'm a Ra's Al Ghul fan?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My favorite part of Batman: Legacy are the issues drawn by Graham Nolan; there's a real sharp, superheroic sense to his style that was perfect for Batman and Ra's sword-fighting in the desert.

    What I didn't like were some of the crossover issues, which I think are indicative of Bat-crossovers at that time: insular bits where Nightwing or Robin go around in a circle only to find that the real story (continued, of course, in another comic) still lies with Batman. Even Resurrection of Ra's al Ghul, published more recently, had the same kind of problem.

    I had forgotten, however, about the "Huntress protects Gotham" subplot in Legacy; as a Huntress fan, I enjoyed that a lot. I don't believe Huntress ever got that thank you from Batman she was promised, if I recall correctly ... it's nice to see the character get the respect now that she pursued back then.

    Quite right that early Birds of Prey collections are out of print, and it's a shame. I think I meant to mention that, but it fell off my list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I had no idea that Countdown to Final Crisis Vol 4 was out of print! Reading-wise, I'm just getting to the Countdown trades now (I decided to buy Sinestro Corps War first, although I think technically that takes place after Countdown starts?). I was in no rush to buy them, but now I'll have to reconsider. My local comic store is having a sale on paperbacks on Free Comic Book day this weekend, I might buy the 4-volume set then.

    Also disappointing is hearing about all those Flash trades. I had picked up Secret of Barry Allen and Rogue War, the last two Geoff Johns books, because of the Identity Crisis cross-over in the first book (and I loved it so much I bought the second). I was hoping to eventually get the rest of Johns run, and I know most of them are on the shelf of my LCS, but just knowing they're out of print makes me nervous, as I had a heck of a time tracking down the issues for Flash: Full Throttle; 3 comic stores netted me #7-#13, but then I had to order All-Flash #1 online!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not suggesting any conspiracy theories, but I know that knowledge of this kind of thing has made me much more circumspect in passing up a trade, thinking I'll get it later. If I was a comics company, an interesting marketing strategy might be to let some choice books go out of print, so as to try to influence dedicated customers not to pass up a book they're on the fence about -- but again, I'm not suggesting conspiracy theories, just noting, as Mark does, the effect this kind of thing has on a fan's psyche.

    If you haven't read Flash: Ignition, Mark (and Flash: Blitz that comes before it), they're well worth picking up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Nightwing: Rough Justice is the one in my collection that cost me the most to acquire, something like 50 bucks. Almost everything else (Batman: Prodigal was also something I eventually gave in a bought a little more expensive) I was able to find for around 10 and under with some patience.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Indeed I never thought I'd be searching the back issue bids for trade paperbacks -- between the cracks back issues, maybe, but not collections. Such as it is. We live in a post-Nightwing era now; I remember War of the Gods-ish time when will Nightwing/won't he get his own series was a big deal, then the Nightwing series became a DC/Bat-family staple, and now not only has that Nightwing series passed, but the collections fade like sand in the wind. Strange times.

    Just glanced at eBay; Nightwing: Rough Justice is selling for around $70, though someone recently got it for $41.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'll stick to my original plan and go with Countdown to Final Crisis next. Despite my strong desire to read those Flash books, I'm really trying to get caught up to "current" continuity (I guess as current as buying paperbacks will get me), and having Barry Allen around now instead of Wally probably drops the importance of those Flash books.

    Speaking of which, it looks like the last of the Wally West books, Wild Wests, was released in hardcover with non plans for a paperback? I ended up tracking down the back issues. I'm finding this whole hardcover-softcover thing really annoying, especially when something like Green Lantern Corps comes out just in softcover, but the main Green Lantern series comes out in hardcover first, then softcover a year later! It almost makes me glad I'm far enough behind that most things on my "to buy" list (like Final Crisis) will be out in paperback by the time I get up to it, reading-wise.

    Not to hijack the subject, and I know you've talked about the hardcover issue before, but I was in a local bookstore over the weekend and noticed that Rage of the Red Lanterns hardcover is $27.99 Cdn (I'm in Canada). I believe it contains 7 issues, so that's $3.99 Cdn an issue, which is more expensive than buying the monthly issues! Conversely, the paperback (coming out the end of July) is only $17.99 Cdn. It just has me thinking...when I do catch up, do I continue to wait for the paperbacks, or switch to hardcovers or monthlies? It seems like the hardcovers don't have any price advantage!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess I'm lucky to live in a country where a Comics Publisher publishes most of DC's comics in collected editions, and also to perfectly understand English. The only problem is that my comic collection has ended up being a mixing of comics published in both English and Spanish.

    For example, I managed to get a copy of Flash: Full Throttle USA TPB in a comic shop in Barcelona, but I have all of the first Waid run (from issue 66 through 163 or so, with a handful of fill-ins and specials) in 7 books that Planeta de Agostini (the Spanish publisher for DC Comics) published a couple of years ago. These are about 500 pages each one, similar to DC Showcases, but in color and slightly smaller, about 1" for just 25 euros (about 35-40$).

    Unfortunately, there are some comics that I've not been able to get neither in Spanish nor English, like Marvel's Wolverine: Return of the Native, and as of now I can't afford to pay 40 or 50 bucks for some books. I guess sometimes I just can resign and hope there is a new printing in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Flash: Wild Wests is one of those -- I'm hard-pressed to think of another -- that came out in hardcover and then (I'm guessing) the series faltered and the economics weren't there to support a paperback. Which indeed says tough luck to those who wanted the book but planned to wait for the paperback -- whereas once we might've waited for the trade, now you have the patient hardcover trade waiters and the even-more-patient paperback trade waiters.

    I can't fault a company for making money, but it does seem mildly to be taking advantage of fans to make them wait for a collection, produce a higher-priced version, and then make them wait even longer for the lower-priced version, well after the single version is produced. Again, making money I get, but for the Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse paperback to come out months after the Blackest Night collections feels slightly disingenuous.

    Me, I've got some strict personal rules as to which books I'll read in hardcover and which I'll wait for the paperback, and I tend to stick to that, and any new series I'm more likely to wait for the paperback. The bigger effect is that the increase in hardcovers has made me less likely to pick up new titles in paperback -- that is, if I'm paying more for Superman, I might not necessarily have the funds to start reading the new Batgirl series.

    But, tying it back, the issue of out of print books makes this sticky. Sure, one might pass up Flash: Wild Wests in hardcover, but if the paperback never comes out and the hardcover goes out of print (still in print right now), there's a danger of missing the collection entirely if it's important to you. There's a kind of subtle game of chicken here that I guess most consumers experience in their buying lives, but it seems especially palpable here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I certainly feel that this game of chicken is not a game we as comic-book buyers (or any other buyers, honestly, there are few markets that should have this sort of game) should be playing. We're buying some of our favourite stories because we want to experience them. Being forced to buy it because of the fear it will not be available later feels... vindictive.

    I can understand if it's a production thing. They can only print so many comics and printing comics that people are not buying in favour of more desired stories (not printing Batman: Year Two in favour of printing Batman: Prodigal Son, for instance) but not printing a story to increase demand/value/whatever for that story is just denying people the chance to enjoy their stories.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure it's a production thing, as Liang says. Under-printing a book to drive up demand doesn't benefit DC directly, and trying to influence consumer behavior in this way is beyond DC's concerns right now, I think.

    If anything, the larger issue is not just the older echelon of the DC Comics library going out of print, but DC management's refusal to acknowledge the collected format as a legitimate first-run way of reading comics. See Russ Burlingame's nice post-C2E2 article about DC still trying to focus on "periodicals" -- first of all, as Russ says, nothing against single issues, but second, we know that DC values collections (hence their Collected Editions department), but management's insistence on pretending like it's all-periodicals-all-the-time is frustrating.

    http://blog.newsarama.com/2010/04/16/dc-hopes-to-push-back-against-trade-waiting-will-it-work/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I hadn't read that article or heard of that comment by DC (did Comic Book Resources not mention this?) until you posted that link.

    As a "wait-for-trader", that's a disturbing stance. So, DC wants people buying monthlies (is this because the floppies contain advertisements, while the trades do not? Is there higher profit from the floppies?) and seems to be getting worse in letting their trades go out of print (I'm still shocked by Countdown to Final Crisis Vol 4; I mean, Final Crisis isn't even out in paperback yet!).

    I've actually been toying with the idea of "jumping on" to the monthlies, starting with this Brightest Day stuff, as the only series I'm really interested in are Flash (just starting new) and Green Lantern (plus I'm already buying Brave & The Bold monthly, because it's mostly one-and-done stories that aren't too tied up in current continuity). This was prompted by the realization that as I catch-up to current continuity, I'll be faced with the hardcover-or-softcover choice, with the hardcover seemingly just as expensive as the monthlies.

    Also disturbing is how Jim Lee keeps saying that DC's not going digital anytime soon! All these books I'm buying are taking up a lot of space; it'd be nice to have something tablet-sized (whether an iPad or a similar device) to store all my comics on. A monthly all-you-can-read subscription service would be great; then I can read what I want digitally, and buy in trade things that I want to own!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It can't be so bad that you have to go *back* to single issues, Mark!

    Readers know I read Infinite Crisis in the monthly issues because I didn't want to wait for it, and then later picked up the hardcover, but for the most part I can't conscience buying myself the same thing twice; at the comics store counter, I have to decide if I really the hardcover of something, or if I can wait for the paperback; of course, soon as something ends up in the paperback pile, chances are it's going to be paperback for good.

    I never felt much need for digital comics until I thought about the entire DC backlist that I might not want to own, but would be curious to browse on a subscription or such basis. In this, Marvel seems ahead of the curve versus DC.

    Is there at least something mobile-device compatible Zuda-wise?

    ReplyDelete
  16. sdcineramaApril 27, 2010

    I'll add another TPB I want back in print...

    Jonah Hex: Two Gun Mojo.

    You'd think the movie might compel somebody to, you know, put this one back into print. Something like that might happen at Marvel. Not at DC.

    It's funny, Jen Grunwald (one of the Collections personnel at Marvel) has a Twitter account and effective web presence.
    Her DC counterpart... Who is her DC counterpart?

    ReplyDelete
  17. In fairness to DC, their Collected Editions editor Anton Kawasaki is on Twitter (@anton_in_nyc) and he's always been friendly and shares news and pictures (recently, the Wednesday Comics collection).

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thanks! Still think the Landale HEX series should come back into print.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This emphasizing of periodicals is a no brainer for the countries not getting regular stock of DC comics as-they-are-published.Personally I prefer hardbacks to trades...I face another problem now.When the Green Lantern rage started (Geoff Johns) I wasn't earning so never thought about the trades/hardbacks,only Indian editions & secondhand stuff.Now,I find myself wanting them.Infact,I feel really lousy that a trade is available while a hardback is not.I face that problem for GREEN LANTERN:REBIRTH (technically an ABSOLUTE is a hardback,but I find them prohibitive) and since an ABSOLUTE is out,a hardback won't be soon.The books I lost out on this way from GREEN LANTERN are REBIRTH and WANTED HAL JORDAN.....thinking of rushing to buy the hardbacks before they all go....

    ReplyDelete
  20. Due to his new found fame, I recently took great interest in Geoff Johns past Flash stories. I have collected all the TPBs for reading except Crossfire and Blitz. This is due to the insane amount requested by sellers on the internet. For example "Blitz" is going for 200.00 on one website. Guess I will have to just skip that part of the story. You would think DC would want to cash in on this character and offer all the titles again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'd say that a repackaging or reprint program of the earlier John's trades is in the works. DC seems to have an 'arrangement' with most of their big name creators to put heaps of their older works into print. Look at all the obscure James Robinson collections that have come out in the last few years.

    ReplyDelete
  22. $200 for Blitz is crazy; I've felt fortunate reading some of these posts that I have all the Johns Flash collections, and also all the Dixon Nightwing collections. I would bet you could get the single issues collected in Blitz for less than a trade at that price. But I think Johns' early Flash run is worthy of deluxe hardcover treatment, especially the Scott Kolins art -- if that's why these books are out of print, that'd make things a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I recently ordered some Flash back-issues from Mile High Comics online; I'm pretty sure they've got the entire run in single form, and good prices (i.e. it won't add up to $300!). I'm sure there are other online back-issue places out there as well, if you can't find the issues at a local comic store.

    If it's not too crowded during Free Comic Book Day tomorrow, I'm going to see if those Flash collections are on the shelf; the owner at one store will let me "lay-away" books since I'm a good customer, so I might do that, as I've got most of my money ready for Countdown to Final Crisis.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Okay I managed to pick up Countdown Vol 4 today; also I noticed one of the comic shops had Flash: Ignition, but neither one had Flash: Blitz. The guy at the other store said he sold his copy of Blitz on eBay for $65!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Went out shopping today, too for a bunch of our of prints. My LCS has a three of the lesser interesting out of print Nightwings, I only picked up a Darker Shade of Justice but when I get more cash I think I'll pick up the rest.

    I also got Batman: Cataclysm to finish off my No Man's Land (My reasoning for getting Darker Shade of Justice as it has the NML tie in).

    Finally I picked up Flash, Fasted Man Alive: Full Throttle.

    I had hoped to pick up Batman Detective and Death and the City... but alas. The search goes on. I literally brought my laptop down there (it's a tablet) with this page open to search, so big props to my fave blog, yo! (OK, I promise never gonna say that again...)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anyone else snag any out of print trades on Free Comic Book Day?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well, in Spain we will have our first Free Comic Book Day next week, on Saturday 8th. I'm really excited to see its outcome.

    Also, from 6th to 9th the 28th "SalĂ³ del CĂ³mic de Barcelona" (Barcelona Comic Con) will be held, and I know a couple of vendors who will sell American TPBs, so I hope I'm lucky and find some of the OOP trades I want.

    ReplyDelete
  28. AnonymousMay 02, 2010

    I did, actually. Wasn't even planning on it--but I found Ultimate Spidey Vol. 3: Double Trouble in a back issue bin...for a 30% discount!

    Truly an awesome FCBD.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I think Gail Simone is going to the Barcelona convention. Enjoy!

    Even as I'm not caught up with much Marvel, I do have a giant Ultimate Spider-Man omnibus released by Barnes and Noble. Love it ... and that thing is huge!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I picked up:
    BATGIRL: SILENT RUNNING-Now only need DEATH WISH to complete the early 2000s Cassandra Cain series
    COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS VOL 4-Still need 3,ARENA & all the other tie ins
    BATMAN: DEATH AND THE CITY-Have ordered DETECTIVE online,hope it comes soon.
    There's no free comic book day bonanza in India.These were just random picks & selections

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yes, she is coming. Also, Andy Diggle, Jock and Ivan Reis will be signing books a couple of days.

    I'll try to get some signature, but there will be probably a loooong line. At least, we don't have to pay for it. Maybe I should take one of my Green Lantern books...

    ReplyDelete
  32. This list has been so eye-opening.

    I've been making an effort to buy out-of-print trades now at my comic book store lately instead of some newer books so that I can flesh out my library a little bit. I checked on FCBD to see if they still had Underworld Unleashed (they do, 2 copies left) and I'll be picking it up tomorrow with the rest of my regular singles.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hey I was in a comic store yesterday and they had Underworld Unleashed in a discount bin for $13.50Cdn. Although I checked Amazon.com and it looks like the prices for it aren't as high as something like Flash:Blitz.

    ReplyDelete
  34. W. Dal BushMay 12, 2010

    How about the fact that Day of Judgment, the Geoff Johns (!) story that brought Hal Jordan (!) back to life (as the Spectre, but still), has NEVER even been collected? I still can't believe that.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Probably because it's terrible? :-) Seriously though, I read the individual issues a year or two ago and didn't enjoy it at all. I thought the writing by Geoff Johns was WELL below what he's been doing with Green Lantern (and what he did with Flash), and I wasn't a fan of the art either. Considering they've moved past Hal being the Spectre, I wouldn't expect it to get collected.

    That being said, they recently collected Invasion! and Millennium, so who knows?

    ReplyDelete
  36. Huh. I have the Black Adam book in stock, and the Death and Return of Superman HC.

    I wonder how much other gold I have hiding on my shelves...

    ReplyDelete
  37. Chris RiceMay 13, 2010

    There are more than a few Hellblazer tps out of print too, and some fairly key ones, too. The last of the first Garth Ennis run, Rake at the Gates of Hell, and the collection of earlier stories, Bloodline; The second Warren Ellis book, Haunted; the first Azzarello collection, Hard Time; and two or three of the Carey ones (I can't remember which off the top of my head, not so keen on his run...). The Ennis & Ellis ones in particular puzzle me.

    A couple of fairly recent Joker related books, Batman: Secrets & Joker's Last Laugh are o/p too, JLL within a few months of publication.

    That said, compared to Marvel they're brilliant at keeping stuff in print.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Superman: Secret Identity is one I've always wanted to read but couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  39. Matter of fact, Secret Identity is one I've always wanted to read, too, and I hate to say I didn't pick it up (I think around Infinite Crisis time) because I was buying too much else and it wasn't "tied in" (breaking myself of the addiction to buying "important" comics, scare quotes and all, is a topic for another time). Sorry to hear that one's out of print, but indeed it could still be on the shelf of your local LCS.

    Chris makes an interesting point -- what's the print/out-of-print situation at Marvel?

    ReplyDelete
  40. Definately need Flash: Crossfire. Had to go back to single issues for Batman: Legacy but all good as this was from the time I was still collecting singles (collected singles up till 2000). Usually get fairly lucky with OOP trades from various online sellers...My Comic Shop and Mile High Comics rule

    ReplyDelete
  41. Of course I get back into comics and I keep running into this problem. I actually just bought No Man's Land v 3 and 4 at my local store after reading this article. But unfortunately no Cataclysm or Legacy to be found :(

    ReplyDelete
  42. Okay so I've managed to pick up Flash: Rogues and Flash: Ignition (two out-of-print trades), but no sign of Crossfire or Blitz!

    So, I figured since they were so expensive online, it might be cheaper to just buy the singles. I went to Mile High Comics and priced up the "Near Mint" versions of the individual issues, and here's the totals:

    Crossfire (Flash #183-#191): $55.10
    Blitz (Flash #192-#200): $71.45 (and 2 of the issues, #197 and #199, aren't even in stock!)

    Suddenly paying $65 for the Blitz TPB seems like a steal! (Currently one available on eBay: $135!)

    ReplyDelete
  43. There is stuff, where I just CAN NOT believe it would be unprofitable for DC to put out a reprint.

    - Death & Return of Superman Omnibus
    - Superman: Secret Identity
    - Batman: Gotham by Gaslight
    - JSA: The Liberty Files
    - Batman: Son of the demon
    - Superman: President Lex
    - New Teen Titans Archives

    Not long ago I thought the same for
    - Watchmen Absolute Edition
    - DC: The New Frontier Absolute Edition
    - Batman: Hush Absolute Edition
    - World's Greatest Superheroes (Slipcased)
    - Batman: The Cult
    - JLA: Year One
    - Animal Man Vol. 2

    All of these were reprinted or are currently on the way of being reprinted(ok, the World's Greatest Superheroes and Batman: Hush only as SC...but with Hush and New Frontier...you just wanted them in one volume instead of two, so you couldn't buy SC before this reprint).

    Are you listening, DC?!??? *shouting into the nothingness*

    Also "Bizarro Comics"+"Bizarro World" in a nice oversized edition would sell well, just like Wednesday Comics HC will...it's practically the same idea in a non-newspaper format...just needs to be promoted a little better than the last time.

    If you need suggestions for Wildstorm or Vertigo, ...OR if you need a second Collected Editions Editor....just write me an eMail ;)


    PS: Yes, I know, nobody at DC will ever read this, just thought it was fun way to get down my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Got THE FINAL NIGHT.Now I need the:
    1) Classic Batman: TEN NIGHTS OF THE BEAST,A LONELY PLACE OF DYING,BLIND JUSTICE,PRODIGAL,LEGACY
    2) Classic superman: TIME AND TIME AGAIN,PANIC IN THE SKY,BIZZARRO'S WORLD,THE DEATH OF CLARK KENT,WEDDING & BEYOND,VS REVENGE SQUAD,NO LIMITS,ENDGAME,EMPEROR JOKER,RETURN TO KRYPTON,UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE,THAT HEALING TOUCH,RUIN REVEALED (whew)
    3) GREEN LANTERN V3: EMERALD DAWN II,EMERALD TWILIGHT/NEW DAWN(I just need 2 singles on 8 so isn't priority),CIRCLE OF FIRE,EMERALD ALLIES,BAPTISM OF FIRE,EMERALD KNIGHTS

    ReplyDelete
  45. I appreciate the above blogger and think along similar lines for these:

    SUPERMAN:
    TIME AND TIME AGAIN,PANIC IN THE SKY,BIZARRO'S WORLD,TRANSFORMED!,THE TRIAL OF SUPERMAN,THE DEATH OF CLARK KENT,THE WEDDING AND BEYOND,NO LIMITS,ENDGAME,TIL DEATH DO US PART,CRITICAL CONDITION,PRESIDENT LEX,EMPEROR JOKER,UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE,THAT HEALING TOUCH,RUIN REVEALED
    uncollected: FALL OF METROPOLIS,DEAD AGAIN,all the stories from 1988-1991 which haven't been collected in the MAN OF STEEL series....didn't *ANYONE* think that it was so DUMB to print SUPERMAN: EXILE while not keeping in print the murder of the Kryptonian criminals from the parallel earth? Why the story has been referenced & referenced since long times...
    BATMAN:
    YEAR 2,YEAR 3,THE MANY DEATHS OF BATMAN,TEN NIGHTS OF THE BEAST,SHAMAN,PREY,VENOM,BLIND JUSTICE,A LONELY PLACE OF DYING,PRODIGAL,LEGACY,CATACLYSM,CITY OF CRIME,THRILLKILLER,GOTHAM BY GASLIGHT
    uncollected PETER MILLIGAN'S run on BATMAN/DETECTIVE in the early 90s,most of the LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT,the peripheral parts to KNIGHTFALL like VENGEANCE OF BANE,SWORD OF AZRAEL,KNIGHTQUEST:THE SEARCH/THE CRUSADE

    GREEN LANTERN:
    EMERALD DAWN II,EMERALD TWILIGHT/NEW DAWN,BAPTISM OF FIRE,EMERALD ALLIES,EMERALD KNIGHTS,CIRCLE OF FIRE,NEW JOURNEY OLD PATH,THE POWER OF ION,BROTHER'S KEEPER

    FLASH: all the WAID & JOHNS' stuff....

    WONDER WOMAN: THE CONTEST,THE CHALLENGE OF ARTEMIS,PARADISE LOST/FOUND

    GREEN ARROW: The awesome MIKE GRELL run

    VERTIGO: the LANSDALE/TRUMAN JONAH HEX minis
    ENIGMA by PETER MILLIGAN/DUNCAN FEGREDO
    EGYPT by MILLIGAN/DILLON
    few volumes of THE BOOKS OF MAGIC
    THE NAMES OF MAGIC
    THE BOOKS OF MAGICK
    THE BOOKS OF FAERIE
    THE DREAMING

    ReplyDelete
  46. Got two of the purportedly 3 part Ruin trilogy in ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN....THAT HEALING TOUCH & RUIN REVEALED. Keeping my fingers crossed for UNCONVENTIONAL WARFARE, BIRDS OF PREY: OLD FRIENDS NEW ENEMIES & MAJESTIC: STRANGE NEW VISITOR

    ReplyDelete
  47. It's surprising, also funny that in the last 2-3 years Marvel has churned out so much material that the equation has turned out in favour....thanks to the multiple printing lines, like ESSENTIALS, MASTERWORKS, OMNIBUS & ULTIMATE COLLECTIONS almost everything is available in 1 format or another. What's more, DC has never done a bang up job on reprinting pre CRISIS stuff like Marvel.

    ReplyDelete

To post a comment, you may need to temporarily allow "cross-site tracking" in your browser of choice.

Newer Post Home Older Post