DC Trade Solicitations for February 2013 - New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 3, Crisis on Multiple Earths Vol. 6, and more

 ·  14 comments

Time again to look at DC Comics's monthly solicitations -- this time, February 2013. A slim month, at least for me -- just a couple things that caught my eye, though I always want to hear what appealed to you that I skipped, too.

Let's get right to it.

* The New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 3 HC

Couple corrections to this solicitation.

Supposedly this third New Teen Titans Omnibus collects Tales of the Teen Titans #45-61 and 66-67, New Teen Titans #38, New Teen Titans #1-6, and Secret Origins Annual #3.

The thing about Tales is that it was New Teen Titans Series 1 through issue until it became Tales with issue #41, and around issue #45 DC launched New Teen Titans Series 2. These series ran simultaneously through Tales #58. Tales #59 reprinted the DC Comics Presents Titans origin, and #60 began reprinting issues of New Teen Titans Series 2; thus New Teen Titans and Tales became the same series, just about fifteen issues behind one another.

Therefore, the New Teen Titans Omnibus Vol. 3 can't actually contain the full seventeen issues listed above, since Tales #60-65 are actually New Teen Titans #1-6.

Plus, New Teen Titans #6/Tales #65 is part one of a four-part story; even with Tales #66-67 (Titans #7-8), there's still one part of that story missing.

Not to mention that the Vol. 2 Omnibus contained over twenty-five issues, and with the listing above, we're looking at seventeen or less, which is a considerably smaller Titans Omnibus than what DC has offered so far, and for the same price as the others.

Hopefully this turns out to be an incomplete issue list and there's more issues coming. A thinner omnibus would be a shame, and an omnibus that cuts off in the middle of a story (possibly because this is around when George Perez leaves Titans), without another omnibus to follow, would also be a disappointment.

* Crisis On Multiple Earths Vol. 6 TP

Readers are already lighting up Dan DiDio's Facebook page about this one.

Solicitations say Crisis on Multiple Earths Vol. 6 (first announced to you by Collected Editions) collects Justice League of America #195-197, 207-209, and 219-220. The first is the JLA and JSA versus the Ultra-Humanite and the Secret Society of Super-Villans; the last fixes some (pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths) continuity regarding the Earth-1 and Earth-2 Black Canaries.

Issues #207-209, however, are parts one, three, and five of a team-up with the JSA and the All-Star Squadron; the other parts are found in All-Star Squadron #14 and 15.

Surely, surely this one is a misprint too; I can't believe DC would release a Crisis volume with two parts of a five-part story excluded.  At the same time, all the fans have to go on at pre-order time is the solicits; for a book like Crisis on Multiple Earths that's already had a tough publication history, I wish the details would be right the first time so they don't lose potential customers.

* Day of Judgment TP

It's been a while since I've read Day of Judgment, but I'm left with the impression that it was not very good: art that didn't thrill, a story that didn't pop, and a whole lot of silly-sounding magic stuff (DC's magic titles have improved a lot since then, including Bill Willingham's Shadowpact). But it remains that this is 1) a DC Comics crossover, 2) one of the first things Geoff Johns wrote for DC, and 3) the first time Geoff Johns wrote Hal Jordan, setting the stage, eventually, for Green Lantern: Rebirth (plus 3A) there's a cool moment when the newly re-banded JSA re-introduces itself to the DC Universe).

For all of these things, I wholly applaud DC collecting this; I might be less sanguine about a Genesis collection, which lacks the same historical relevance. Me, I'm one of six people out there who'd still like to see a War of the Gods collection ...

* Superman Vs. Zod TP

Issues collected here (or so they say) are Adventure Comics #283, the first appearance of the Phantom Zone and General Zod, in a Superboy story; Action Comics #473, 549-549, various stories of Superman versus Zod; DC Comics Presents #97, a Phantom Zone story, the last issue of that series, and a rare pre-Crisis story told after Crisis on Infinite Earths had already finished; and Action Comics #10, a new Zod origin by Geoff Johns and Richard Donner.

Am I the only one who wished DC would have reprinted the "Supergirl Saga" from Superman #21-22 and Adventures of Superman #444? Within, the Phantom Zone criminals kill everyone on a parallel Earth, and Superman is forced to execute them -- now that's Superman versus Zod!

* All-Star Western Vol. 2: The War of Lords and Owls TP
* Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 2 — Scare Tactics HC
* Batwing Vol. 2: in The Shadows of The Ancients TP
* G.i. Combat Vol. 1: The War That Time Forgot TP
* I, Vampire Vol. 2: Rise of The Vampires TP
* Red Lanterns Vol. 2: The Death of The Red Lanterns TP

* Batman Vol. 1: The Court of Owls TP

Your DC New 52 releases for this month. Detective, Batwing, and GI Combat all include their Zero Month issues.

Those are my picks for this month -- what are you getting? And a bonus question, how have your comics buying habits changed over 2012?

Comments ( 14 )

  1. Hey, "Day of Judgment"! That came up a lot in the "Uncollected Runs" post a while back. I figured it was just a matter of time.

    IDW Solicits: http://www.previewsworld.com/Home/1/1/71/916?articleID=127974

    Mars Attacks TP Vol. 1--The next big event at IDW is MA-related, and I've good things about the series.

    Dark Horse Solicits: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=42143

    Aliens: Inhuman Condition--Dark Horse recently relaunched "Dark Horse Presents", and with it came new Aliens material. The creative team is John Layman and Sam Kieth, so count me in. I hope this presages more Aliens/Predator/AVP material soon, since the "Colonial Marines" game is on the horizon.

    Full Marvel solicits post to come. It might be a slim month for DC, but there's some killer Marvel material.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marvel Solicits: http://marvelousnews.com/index.php?catid=268&itemid=15509

    Superior TPB--This was Mark Millar's take on the Captain Marvel concept. I'll give it a look.

    New Warriors Omnibus Vol. 1--Well, I'm sure this is exciting for some people out there. I'm sort of "eh" on the title at best.

    Marvel Masterworks: Invincible Iron Man Vol. 8 HC--Iron Man gets a nose! I feel bad for George Tuska; he'll always be remembered for that.

    Marvel Masterworks: Captain Marvel Vol. 1 TPB--If you're interested in Cosmic Marvel or the new and awesome Captain Marvel series, this will get you in at the very start. There's also the second Essentials volume coming out in February.

    AVX Companion HC--Don't screw around, Marvel. This isn't an HC; it's an omnibus. If you intend to get every tie-in to AVX, then this saves you some money. As for me... well, at least A-Babies vs. X-Babies is getting collected somewhere.

    All New X-Men Vol. 1 HC--The original X-Men come from the past and see how much their current incarnations screwed up the future. This is some ridiculously fast turn-around for Marvel NOW! material. I'll look at the TPB later on.

    Iron Man: Season One HC--Another round of Season Ones. Well, at least they're not going to do an Avengers Season One, right? I mean, "The Origin" just came out last year, so--

    Avengers: Season One HC--I don't know what's worse: that this exists, or that it might actually be really good. Peter David examines the paranoia at the heart of the Marvel Universe, and Andrea DiVito is drawing it. You win this time, Marvel.

    AVX: Avengers Academy TPB--I've been meaning to catch up on this title. The roster is now much larger and the previews I've seen make these issues look very fun.

    Gambit: Volume 1 TPB--This title has gotten a lot of acclaim. I'm not the biggest Gambit fan, but the book sounds exciting.

    Wolverine and the X-Men Vol. 3 TPB--Two WaTX softcovers in back-to-back months? I feel spoiled. And I'm sure this has nothing to do with AVX.

    Invincible Iron Man Vol. 10 TPB--Fraction and Larocca's epic run begins its final climax, and I can't wait to read it. I may spring for the HC first, though.

    Hawkeye Vol. 1 TPB--Even as a trade-only person, there are a few monthlies I've been very, very tempted to pick up. This is one of them. This is one of the year's breakout titles.

    Astonishing X-Men Vol. 10 TPB--This team is a tie-in to WaTX (sort of) and, once again, I've heard good things. Plus it includes the issue of Alpha Flight where Northstar came out, which is a nice bonus since the marriage is the focus of the trade.

    Spider-Man: Lizard--No Turning Back--Remember how the Lizard used to be a redeemable villain, a good man who went too far in his research? Yeah, that ends with this trade. This isn't exactly the best tie-in for kids who saw "Amazing Spider-Man" and wanted to know more about the LIzard.

    Avengers Infinity--Talk about long-awaited trades! Avengers Infinity was a companion book to Avengers Forever and a lead-in to Maximum Security. The film tie-in juggernaut succeeds yet again.

    Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 TPB--This is the old GoTG, so if you're looking for Rocket Raccoon and Groot, you'll be disappointed. On the other hand, this is some classic 70s Marvel cosmic goodness, so it's a good pairing with the Captain Marvel trade above.

    Power Pack Classic Vol. 4 TP--I have to go back and get Vol. 3 because it ties in with Walt Simonson's Thor and Kitty Pryde and Wolverine, so if that one impresses me, I might continue with the title.

    Deadpool Classic Vol. 8 TP--I applaud Marvel for keeping up with the DPC volumes. However, this is the Frank Tieri era, one of Deadpool's unfunniest points.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking as someone who bought the Showcase Presents collection with All Star Squadron14 & 15 but not the JLA issues, I fear that DC's listing isn't a misprint.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think between DC releasing a Spring forecast of releases in the fall, and me searching anyway on Amazon to try and find the upcoming titles, the surprises that I'm used to seeing each month are getting spoiled. We pretty much knew about every single one of these, maybe just missing a few details about what they contain. The only thing I didn't know about was Gotham by Gaslight on March 12, which is awesome because I've never gotten that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll go with AVX Companion HC all the way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm gradually switching to trades on titles that sell well. it's just cheaper. might begin get digital for singles, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. As for buying habits, like I said, I've gone trade only, in part because I moved to Baltimore and then went back to Florida, so I couldn't really establish a pull box.

    I'm considering getting the two Transformers series (reviews coming over the next two weeks), Hawkeye and Wolverine and the X-Men monthly since there's an LCS with a 20% off all pull box titles. The TF titles get trades every four issues, so I won't be too far behind, and Hawkeye is only on issue four. Plus I want to make sure Marvel keeps the current creative team on WaTX.

    I'll also see how some of the new Valiant titles are once the first trades come out. I have a Valiant review coming... and it's not going to be pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  8. With the Superman Vs. Zod TPB, I'm surprised they still haven't collected the Phantom Zone mini by Gerber and Colan.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For this batch of solicitations, the only ones really on my radar are I, Vampire (please don't let it be in the next round of cancellations!) and probably All Star Western, though I'll need to read vol 1 before I know that one for sure (everything I've heard about it though makes me fairly confident).

    My comic purchasing has drastically changed this year because I'm actually buying something that isn't Fables. I figured I was pretty much the type of potential reader the relaunch was aimed at so not only did I buy the new 52 stuff, I also ended up starting to collect some of the older books too, including a few that are very much out of continuity (52, for example).

    And it will only increase in 2013 I'm sure, especially since Marvel keeps coming out with new titles that sound exciting, though I'll be waiting to hear reviews before putting any of them on my to-read list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm right there with you. I'd really love a War of the Gods collection. Much more, I'd love *complete* War of the Gods collections. But DC will never do something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You 'n me, Omar, we've gotta start petitioning DC to make a War of the Gods omnibus. Maybe if we each promise to buy 5,000 copies? :-)

    Digital folks, any of the War of the Gods crossover issues available in digital format?

    Don, I hear you on Showcase Presents All-Star Squadron. And yet they included a Superman issue in the Showcase Presents Booster Gold, if I remember correctly. Hopefully they'll make the Crisis book complete since it's full color, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, I have the Booster Gold and it does have the Byrne written and drawn Action Comics issue.

    I'd totally spring for a War of the Gods....if memory serves, the art was by Perez as well...I don't know what's keeping them from printing this one, just as I don't know why there isn't a deluxe hardcover of Batwoman: Cutter (Rucka/Jock) yet....

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just did a bit of searching, based on the tie-in issues listed on comicbookdb.com. Only The Flash and The New Titans tie-in issues are currently available digitally on Comixology, although I anticipate some more to be collected as their add more to series that they've been scanning (such as the 80's/90's Wonder Woman, Suicide Squad, Batman, maybe Animal Man and Justice League Europe). But there look to be some tie-ins from series that probably won't get converted anytime soon, like Starman (not THAT Starman, the early 90's one), Dr. Fate, Captain Atom, The Demon, Hawkworld, LEGION, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Aalok, my enthusiasm for Batwoman: Cutter in a collection has waned. Jock doesn't finish the story, and overall I didn't find the writing strong per se. You can see my review of Batwoman: Cutter at the link.

    ReplyDelete

To post a comment, you may need to temporarily allow "cross-site tracking" in your browser of choice.

Newer Post Home Older Post