JSA Omnibus Vol. 3, Aquaman: Sub-Diego, Deathstroke by Wolfman, America Vs. Justice Society, Question by Veitch, Green Lantern by Johns Omnibus 2, Wonder Woman by Perez Omnibus, Orion by Simonson, more in DC Comics Spring 2015 solicitations
Wednesday, August 20, 2014
There's a lot to look at here, but some of my personal favorites and highlights are: Aquaman: Sub-Diego. Batman: The New Adventures, the post-Crisis origin of Jason Todd. Deathstroke, the Terminator: Assassins, the Marv Wolfman series. Green Arrow Vol. 3 by Mike Grell. Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus. JSA Omnibus Vol. 3. Swamp Thing: The Root of All Evil by Grant Morrison and Mark Millar. Orion by Walt Simonson Omnibus. The "Superstorm" Question miniseries by Rick Veitch. Showcase Presents: Blue Devil. Batman Noir: Dark Knight Returns, in black and white. America vs. the Justice Society. A new edition of Batman: Cataclysm. Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 2, with Blackest Night.
[Be among the first to get news like this by following Collected Editions on Facebook and Twitter.]
Note that all of this information is subject to change before publication.
• 100 Bullets Book Two
• Absolute Green Arrow by Kevin Smith
When DC listed the Green Arrow by Kevin Smith deluxe edition as canceled, I expected they had over-estimated the appeal this might have to Arrow fans based on pre-orders. Guess the opposite is true; looks like this was popular enough to warrant a rare up-format, to Absolute. More on this when we look at the November 2014 solicitations, soon.
• Absolute Transmetropolitan Vol. 1
• Absolute Y The Last Man Vol. 1
Once upon a time I would have snapped up Absolutes like these to get the "definitive" version of the series, but digital has spoiled me for holding giant-size books on my lap. These are not for me, though I appreciate the recognition being given to these "now classic" Vertigo titles
• Adventures of Superman Vol. 3
• All Star Western Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• America Vs. The Justice Society
With Roy Thomas and Jerry Ordway, this was the original story of the JSA brought up on treason charges by the US government, later re-told in JSA, Starman, and etc. Someone will have to tell me where exactly this fits into the Justice Society publishing history, as I know Thomas and Ordway were also involved in All-Star Squadron and Infinity Inc., and likely this coincides with those somehow. We can only hope if this book does well, it'll inspire new All-Star and Infinity collections.
• American Vampire Vol. 7
• American Vampire Vol. 8
• Aquaman and the Others Vol. 2
• Aquaman Vol. 5: Sea of Storms (The New 52)
• Aquaman Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Aquaman: Sub-Diego
Aquaman: Sub-Diego was a 2004 storyline by Will Pfeifer and Patrick Gleason that saw a new status quo for Arthur and a new Aquagirl, among other things, picking up from the Rick Veitch run (after JLA: Obsidian Age) and continuing through to Infinite Crisis, where Sub-Diego was essentially retconned out. The storyline gained a reputation in retrospect for being really good, but Aquaman was an underrated title at the time, and with Infinite Crisis and the launch of Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis, Sub-Diego never saw collection. This one has been on my wishlist for a very, very long time, and I'm thrilled there's a chance we might now see a collection. This is issues #15-22, so to the end of Pfeifer's run before John Ostrander and then John Arcudi took over.
• Arkham Manor Vol. 1
• Astro City: Private Lives
• Astro City: Victory
• Batgirl Vol. 5: Deadline (The New 52)
• Batgirl Vol. 6
The first "new look Batgirl" collection, by Cameron Stewart, Brenden Fletcher, and Babs Tarr.
• Batman '66 Vol. 2
• Batman '66 Vol. 3
• Batman '66/Green Hornet
• Batman Adventures Vol. 2
• Batman Adventures: Mad Love Deluxe Edition
If you like that kind of thing, and especially with Harley Quinn's resurgent popularity in the DC Universe, a deluxe edition. Apparently contains extras and bonus material along with the original story.
• Batman and Robin Vol. 5: The Big Burn (The New 52)
• Batman and Robin Vol. 6: The Hunt for Robin
Early solicits have this containing Batman and Robin #29-39, but I'd be surprised if the Robin Rises: Omega issue wasn't in there, too.
• Batman Arkham: Riddler
The "Batman Arkham" header on this is interesting (subject to change); this is actually a collection of classic and recent Riddler stories, like the Superman vs. books.
• Batman Beyond: Justice Lords Beyond
• Batman Noir: Dark Knight Returns
A black and white edition of Dark Knight Returns, from the "I'm amazed no one ever thought of this before" department. This should be really cool-looking, actually. Do you think Batman: Year One might hold up in black and white, too?
• Batman Vol. 5: Zero Year - Dark City
• Batman Vol. 6 (The New 52)
This is apparently (again, subject to change) the post-Zero Year collection we've been waiting for, with Batman #0, #18-20, #28, and Batman Annual #2. A third time, subject to change.
• Batman: Arkham Origins
• Batman: Cataclysm (New Edition)
After the new editions of No Man's Land, Knightfall, and Murderer/Fugitive, Cataclysm was certainly due, probably to be followed by Contagion or Legacy. I know this has been out of print for a while and will please a lot of interested readers; expanded as it is, I might have to check it out myself.
• Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 5: Gothopia (The New 52)
• Batman: Detective Comics Vol. 6: Icarus (The New 52)
The first collection of Flash's Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato run on Detective Comics.
• Batman: Earth One Vol. 2
A commercial for this one toward the end of the first season of Gotham would be really, really neat.
• Batman: Eternal Vol. 2
• Batman: Gothic Deluxe Edition
• Batman: Harley Quinn
A big collection of Harley Quinn stories, including her first (No Man's Land) in-continuity comics appearance, and also the Detective Comics #23.2: Harley Quinn Villains' Month issue (tentatively).
• Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight Vol. 4
• Batman: The Dark Knight Unwrapped by David Finch
• Batman: The Jiro Kuwata Batmanga Vol. 2
• Batman: The New Adventures
... Don't believe it until you see it, but if this one's true, I'm floored. Appears to be Batman #402-403, #408-416, and Annual #11, which includes the first post-Crisis on Infinite Earths appearance of Jason Todd, with new origin. I about never thought we'd get this one.
• Batman/Superman Vol. 2: Game Over (The New 52)
• Batman/Superman Vol. 3 (The New 52)
• Batwing Vol. 5 (The New 52)
• Batwoman Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Black Canary and Zatanna: Bloodspell
• Catwoman Vol. 6 (The New 52)
The first book of Genevieve Valentine's run on Catwoman, spinning out of Batman Eternal.
• Constantine Vol. 4 (The New 52)
• DC Comics: Zero Year (The New 52)
• Deadshot: Bulletproof
Collects Christos Gage's Deadshot mini-series from 2004. Someone will have to look into it, but I think this was between Suicide Squad series, not necessarily related to anything, but I'm pretty sure ...? that Gail Simone used some of what was established in this mini as continuity in Secret Six.
• Deathstroke Vol. 1
• Deathstroke; The Terminator Vol. 1: Assassins
Way, way back, DC collected just the first couple issues of Marv Wolfman's 1990s Deathstroke series in a collection called Full Cycle, now extremely out of print. We saw listings a couple years ago for a new collection of these issues and more, also called Assassins, but it was canceled before it was officially solicited. Well, here it is again, and I'm just as interested as I was before. Initial plans say issues #1-9 of the Wolfman series, plus New Teen Titans #70. Now if we could only get that Titans Hunt collection ...
• Dial H Deluxe Edition (The New 52)
Well, I thought this title began better than it ended, but it was certainly notable, and it's nice to see it getting a deluxe edition instead of just falling into obscurity. This sets an interesting precedent for collections of in-continuity New 52 runs, though maybe this is a special case because of China Mieville's involvement.
• DMZ Deluxe Edition Book Four
• Earth 2 Vol. 4: The Dark Age (The New 52)
• Earth 2 Vol. 5: The Kryptonian (The New 52)
Solicited (preliminarily) to include Earth 2 #21-26, and also Earth 2: Futures End #1. I would be nice if all the "Five Years Later" Futures End issues are collected with their series, as opposed to the Villain's Month titles.
• Earth 2: World's End Vol. 1
• Ex Machina Book Five
• Fables Vol. 21
• Fables Vol. 22
• Fables: Deluxe Edition Book Ten
• Fairest Vol. 5
• FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics Vol. 3
• Filth Deluxe Edition
• Flash Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Forever Evil
• Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest
• Girl Who Played with Fire
• Gotham Academy Vol. 1
• Gotham By Midnight Vol. 1
• Gotham City Sirens Book Two
This is initially solicited to include Gotham City Sirens #14-26, which finishes out the series and includes Peter Calloway's issues; at the outside I wasn't sure if this collection series would just collect the Paul Dini issues or not.
• Graphic Ink: The DC Comics Art of Ivan Reis
• Grayson Vol. 1
• Green Arrow Vol. 3: The Trial of Oliver Queen
Fantastic! It's the third Green Arrow by Mike Grell collection (everybody go order Vol. 2: Here There Be Dragons). This is said to collect issues #13-18, which is actually not the "Trial of Oliver Queen" story (that's issues #19-20), so it remains to be seen what's in here.
• Green Arrow Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Green Arrow: Archer's Quest Deluxe Edition
A deluxe edition of Brad Meltzer's Green Arrow stories, issues #16-21, which followed Kevin Smith's stories. And the Kevin Smith volume was recently upped from deluxe to Absolute. Any bets this one will follow suit?
• Green Lantern by Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 2
OK, remember these are preliminary solicitations, but this one is said to collect Green Lantern #26-52, Blackest Night #0-7, DC Universe #0, Untold Tales of Blackest Night #1-2, and Blackest Night: ales of the Corps #1-2. No, it doesn't have any Green Lantern Corps issues, but those were really a separate storyline from Green Lantern in Blackest Night. More notably missing is Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns, but I wouldn't be surprised if that eventually makes its way in.
• Green Lantern Corps Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Green Lantern Vol. 5: Test of Wills (The New 52)
• Green Lantern Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Green Lantern: New Guardians Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Harley Quinn Vol. 1: Hot in the City (The New 52)
• Harley Quinn Vol. 2 (The New 52)
• He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Vol. 4: What Lies Within
• He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Vol. 5
• Hinterkind Vol. 3
• Infinite Crisis: Fight for the Multiverse
• Infinity Man and the Forever People Vol. 1
• Injustice: Gods Among Us Year 2 Vol. 1
• Injustice: Gods Among Us Year 2 Vol. 2
• Invisibles Book Four Deluxe Edition
• JLA Vol. 7
• John Constantine, Hellblazer Vol. 11: Last Man Standing
• JSA Omnibus Vol. 3
I was wrong -- I thought they'd quit after two volumes. This'll definitely make some people happy. It's (preliminarily) JSA #76-87, Justice Society of America #1-28, Justice League of America #8-10, Justice Society of America Annual #1, JSA Kingdom Come Special: Superman #1, JSA Kingdom Come Special: Magog #1, and JSA Kingdom Come Special: The Kingdom #1. That's past Geoff Johns and into the Jerry Ordway issues, though it stops before the Bill Willingham/Matthew Sturges material. Now I think they're done, though there is material out there for a fourth volume.
• Justice League 3000 Vol. 2 (The New 52)
• Justice League Dark Vol. 5 (The New 52)
• Justice League of America Vol. 2: Survivors of Evil (The New 52)
• Justice League United Vol. 1
• Justice League Vol. 5: Forever Heroes (The New 52)
• Justice League Vol. 6: Injustice League (The New 52)
• Justice Society of America: A Celebration of 75 Years
• Klarion Vol. 1
• Lobo Vol. 1
First collection of the new Lobo series (not a collection of previous Lobo material).
• Neal Adams Omnibus
Contents too numerous to name (initial solicitation has this at 640 pages), but it seems to include all of both volumes of Batman: Odyssey, among plenty of other material.
• New 52: Futures End Vol. 2
• New Suicide Squad Vol. 1 (The New 52)
• New Teen Titans Vol. 2
Initial solicit of this paperback is issues #9-16. Which leads one to wonder if this is the sequential collection of New Teen Titans that we wanted with the New Teen Titans Omnibuses and didn't get. Which makes me wonder if I'll be trading in my New Teen Titans Omnibuses one of these days ...
• Nightwing Vol. 2: Rough Justice
This would seem to be an exact reprint of the previous Chuck Dixon Nightwing Vol. 2: Rough Justice, with issues #9-18. Which is better than a kick in the head, but I was hoping for some larger-scale Dixon/Nightwing collections this time, maybe to move it all along a little faster.
• Ocean/Orbiter Deluxe Edition
I don't believe the Ocean miniseries and the Orbiter graphic novel are related, but I've read a little of each and I recommend both as good speculative science-fiction by Warren Ellis. This will be a nice package, I think.
• Orion by Walter Simonson Omnibus
Initial solicitations have this as Orion #1-25 and stories from Jack Kirby's Fourth World #9-11 and #13. Frankly I might have been a bit more excited about this when these stories were actually in continuity, though this would definitely be a nice addition were I to go back and revisit my Fourth World Omniubuses.
• Question: Falling in Place
I am 99% sure that this is the Question miniseries meant to tie in to the Superman "Super-storm" relaunch that ultimately didn't happen. Written by Rick Veitch with art by Tommy Lee Edwards; this is one I was curious about once upon a time, but again, it's been so long since this all came out. Other related titles were Vigilante, supposed to be by Micah Wright but then later by Bruce Jones, the "For Tomorrow" storyline, and Brian Azzarello and Lee Bermejo's Lex Luthor miniseries. Interesting timing on collecting this; to tie in to Trinity of Sin, maybe?
• Red Hood and the Outlaws Vol. 6
• Red Lanterns Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Robin The Boy Wonder: A Celebration of 75 Years
• Sandman: Overture Deluxe Edition
• Secret Origins Vol. 2
I guess I'd forgotten that DC solicited a Secret Origins Vol. 1, so that answers the question of whether these stories will only show up with their individual series or in Secret Origins collections, too. Should be Wonder Woman, Cyborg, and Red Hood in here, among others.
• Secret Six Vol. 2
Wish I could say more, but I have no initial contents information on this. My hope is that it's a little larger than just one Secret Six collection.
• Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman Vol. 1
• Shazam!: A Celebration of 75 Years
• Showcase Presents: Blue Devil Vol. 1
Wow! Gotta say, I've been digging the Showcase Presents reprints of the kind-of-classic 1980s series like Booster Gold and Blue Beetle. Blue Devil's another; this collects issues #1-18 and Fury of Firestorm #24. 'Mazing Man next, maybe?
• Showcase Presents: The Flash Vol. 5
• Sinestro Vol. 2 (The New 52)
• Smallville Season 11 Vol. 6: Titans
• Supergirl Vol. 6 (The New 52)
Said to collect Supergirl #34-40 and Futures End: Supergirl #1.
• Superman - Action Comics Vol. 5: What Lies Beneath (The New 52)
• Superman - Action Comics Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Superman Vol. 5 (The New 52)
• Superman Vol. 6 (The New 52)
The first collection of the Geoff Johns/John Romita run.
• Superman Vs. Darkseid
No details on the contents, but one wonders if this is meant to coincide with a certain upcoming DC Comics event ...
• Superman: Doomed
The "all together" collection of the "Doomed" storyline, including Doomed #1, something called Superman: Brainiac #1 (maybe a Villain's Month issue?), Action Comics #30-34, Superman/Wonder Woman #7-11, and Superman #30.
• Superman: Krypton Returns (The New 52)
• Superman/Wonder Woman Vol. 1: Power Couple
• Superman/Wonder Woman Vol. 2
• Swamp Thing Vol. 6 (The New 52)
• Swamp Thing: The Root of All Evil
Indeed this is the Grant Morrison/Mark Millar Swamp Thing saga, from issues #140-150. From what I understand, this is a collection a long time coming.
• Teen Titans Go! Vol. 1
• Teen Titans Vol. 1 (The New 52)
• Tiny Titans: Return to the Treehouse
• Top 10
• Trinity of Sin Vol. 1
• Unwritten Vol. 11
• Wonder Woman by George Perez Omnibus
Collects issues #1-24 of Perez's legendary run, plus Wonder Woman Annual #1. This equates the same material as the four of these that were released in paperback. Perez continued writing, if not drawing, Wonder Woman after issue #24, and I hope this is actually the first volume of a series of omnibuses. (Me, I'm still holding out for a complete War of the Gods Omnibus ...)
• Wonder Woman Vol. 5: Flesh (The New 52)
• Wonder Woman Vol. 6: Bones
Collects Wonder Woman #30-34 (the last issues?) and Secret Origin #6.
• Worlds' Finest Vol. 5 (The New 52)
Collects Worlds' Finest #22-26 and Worlds Finest: Futures End.
• Y The Last Man Book Two
Wow, again! I didn't get up this morning thinking I'd see an Aquaman: Sub-Diego pre-solicitation, did you? Chime in the comments section with what you're planning to order.